Thursday, January 28, 2010

Walls and Women

You have probably noticed that I really like alliteration.
Here is some more!

Hechi says Hi!




This bold building is our cheery chapel. Elder Dallin H. Oaks spoke to us in a fireside on February 7th.




This whimsical wall was my first recognizable landmark when we arrived in Korea. It is not far from our apartment. They are rebuilding a gate (entrance) to the Kyeongbok Palace behind this wall which was destroyed by the Japanese in the 1900s.




The white space on the middle bottom of the whimsical wall is an alluring alcove. We were walking by one day, and took a picture of the wall within the wall. It is made up of hundreds of childrens' pictures.


This is a tiny section of the pictures. I love this wonderful wall.




This delicately decorated wall is found on one of the palace grounds.



As a new construction site is opened, walls are built around it to protect the public, etc.
Here in Seoul they have the heavenly habit of decorating these walls. This is an example along with my whimsical wall.



Every subway station has its own look and its own personality. This peaceful panel is sure to calm the hurrying hordes of people.



This wall typifies the patience, endurance, and stamina of a struggling society.



"King and His Retinue ~ This bas-relief representing the king atop his carriage, accompanied by his retinue, is an iconic image of this region, which served as Joseon's royal capital for more than five hundred years and a picturesque symbol of old Korea."



These ancient pagodas create an awesome ambiance.




This kaleidoscopic collection of color covers the entire wall of the building housing an optical arts display on the Gwanghwamun Plaza.



Hark! All ye princes and princesses! Is this subway stop not the Castle of your Imagination?


Next, we explore the collasol cosmos of outer space.



Ah! This magnificent wall of mouth-watering meals calls my name. Costco has a permanent place in the hearts of Koreans and foreigners alike.




This wall of humanity can be intimidating, but the meal must go on. "Look! I think the group with all the black hair is about finished."




No pizza dinner is complete without a plate full of minced onions. Just turn the arm and catch the tear-inspiring tidbits.




Next, add some sumptuous squirts of sweet catsup and mustard. This delicious side dish goes great with your Costco pizza.


Or, if you prefer, Mr. Pizza is just a subway ride away. Mr. Pizza has great pizza and pasta dishes, and a "love for women."


This old woman is making burnt sugar "cookies" on a stick.


Sushi anyone! It looks beautiful! The color of the plate tells you the price to pay.





You've heard of "green eggs and ham," but have you heard of a "green orange?" That is a curious conundrum.




I am always showing you tables full of lots of luscious food. This is a photo of what is left after a filling feast. Starting left top of green stripe: Barley tea. (I drank all of mine. It is for your "well-being.") Marinated mushrooms and cucumbers. (I would have finished it, but I was so-0 full.) Cabbage kimchi (I ate it all. It is the best kimchi in Korea.) We finished off our meal with the tiny bottle of cat's milk. Middle left: I don't know what kind of kimchi, but it is yummy. Marinated seaweed. (I ate all but the last leaf of this chewy treat.) Apples and Korean Pears smothered with a mayo based sauce. (Since Clyde didn't eat his share of the other sides, I let him eat all but two pieces of this tastey treat.) Seaweed soup. (I LIKE IT! But I was just too full to finish it.) The two big empty bowls were filled with Bibimbop~wonderful sticky rice covered with piles of vegetables, mushrooms, dried seaweed, and an easy-over egg right in the middle. Mix it all together with a scoop of pepper sauce, and there you have it.




Let' see. We've talked about walls and food. It is time for "Women." This is not a woman, but you have seen this man before. He is guarding the "Blue House," Korea's "White House."




This is not a woman either, but I thought these two pictures would help create an impact.


THIS IS A WOMAN!
If I were a spy trying to infiltrate the Blue House, I would stop dead in my tracks upon seeing this guard.


What woman wouldn't love to receive one of these bouquets of beautifully arranged blossoms.


I am pretty sure this is a female car! It is definitely not a "bad boy" car!



You have seen this entryway covered with Elders' shoes, but this time it is filled with our sweet Sisters' shoes.



Hechi says "Have a dazzling day!"
PS ~ Sh-h-h! Its not really cat's milk, but the Elders like to tell their greenies that it is. In reality it is a yogurt type drink for your "well-being."

3 comments:

Meek Family said...

Can you get me one of those awesome pink coats? Oh how I miss Korea!

Unknown said...

Fun post. Although, there were fewer women in it than men, so I'm not sure you are justified in your title. I know, I know...you were working to satisfy some kind of alliteration rule for the post. :P

Lazarus said...

Who milked the cats?