Which way should we go first!

Of course! Let's go to eat!

Pickles are served with just about every meal, but these were particularly yummy because they were pink!

We had to order some Bianca. Just so you know, it was worth every won!

I am pretty sure these are art brushes. The artists must be creating some very large paintings.

Next stop...Demilitarized Zone.

Security is very tight. Passports were required. Many people are banned from these tours because of their nationality.

Our first visit was to a small building where we read and signed a form promising to obey the strict code of conduct. For example, no pointing or gesturing toward North Korea. Also, there was a dress code - no jeans, shorts, sandals, or clothes with any writing on the them.

Trust me, the South Koreans and Americans mean business. But how would you like the North Korean through the window looking over YOUR shoulder?

Shortly after taking his picture, this soldier left. He probably didn't like us taking his picture. The soldier next to Misty looks proud and all business. This young man looks sad and beaten down.


Look at these adorable children's clothes. Just imagine a family full of military clad children running around your nieghborhood, hiding behind buildings, digging trenches, throwing grenades, etc.

This picture really sums up the feeling at the DMZ. So many families are divided by this barrier and so many have been separated through death. One day this country will be united again.

All this Korean woman needs is Chip 'n Dale on her blouse, then she and Misty could be twins. ^^

This would be a great visual for Ephesian 6:13-18.
On the way to the Geongbok Palace, we found this calm lily pond.
I never tire of these "Changing of the Guards" ceremonies.

I think she has a "crush" on him. Its probably the hat. The hand in the background is pointing the way to dinner. The Sister Missionaries made the arrangements and ordered for us since we don't speak Korean.

This is our favorite Shabu Shabu restaurant. I hope we can take Niesha, Heidi and Hannah for delicious dinner.
Sister Kim told Elder Biesinger that she wanted to marry someone just like him.

Next stop... Buddhist temple.
This Buddhist symbol means good fortune, luck, and well-being. The Nazi symbol points the opposite direction and has the opposite meaning.

Welcome to a Buddhist Temple in the heart of Seoul.

One respectfully removes his or her shoes before entering.

There are hundreds of little gold Buddhas on these shelves.
This is one very large Buddhist statue, maybe sixty feet tall.

This is one very small Buddha, maybe six inches short.

These are some of the paintings that adorn the outside walls and doors of the temples.

I am sure he has a "kind" heart. I am just not sure what "kind."

Misty met all sorts of interesting men and women in Korea.

Modern skyscrapers surround these ancient roofs.

Decorative walls surround this shopping Buddhist.

After a long week of sight-seeing, a "Smoothie King" tastes mighty fine.
Last stop...the beautiful Seoul Temple. 
A little dessert before we head for home. What do you think?
Now you see it. Now you don't. Meow!

Yep, right here in Seoul.
10 comments:
Hi Grandma and Grandpa,
I hope you have a fun time in Korea.
Arella.
The DMZ letters with the flower on top make it look like a cheerful place to visit.
Zy.
i love you. Arella.
so many cool pictures.
I have a shirt exactly like the blue stripey one Misty's wearing there at the DMZ. random!
I agree with Zy's comment. The DMZ is sure kid-friendly looking from the colorful sign with a flower!
I would have loves military paintball when I was symbol.
I can't believe my roomie commented before I did. Way to show me up Amelia. :)
Did Sister Kim say what is was about dad that made her want to marry someone like him?
I love that Shabu Shabu place. I might have to take a break from vegetarianism just to try it again. ;) Cute pics Mis.
Ciao ciao ciao.
Dear Clyde and Susan,
I am sure the trip to the DMZ was a sobering experience--we are so blessed in this country. I get weepy just thinking about what all the Russian and German people have had to go through because of the hand of man--basically their own leaders or governments. And now the Koreans for the past fifty years or so. I hope you are burning all these pictures you have taken or storing them somehow to scrapbook or put on a disc later--absolutely priceless. Great that some of the kids have been able to come over. Love, Holly PS--where can we send packages now?
In answer to your question- I would definitely go to the cafe first. After that it looks like you have a long walk wherever you are bound.
Letters:
Elder and Sister Biesinger
Korea Seoul Mission
Gwanghwamun PO Box 210
Jongno-gu
Seoul-si
South Korea 110-602
Packages:
Elder and Sister Biesinger
Korea Seoul Mission
5 Samcheong-dong
Jongno-gu
Seoul-si
South Korea 110-230
Post a Comment