Chuseok is one of the two biggest holidays in Korea. It might be compared to Thanksgiving. As a celebration of the good harvest, Koreans make a mass exodus to their ancestral hometowns and share a feast of Korean traditional food.
As missionaries, we celebrated Chuseok by visiting the CheongDeok Palace. If we were wearing traditional Korean attire, our admission was free.
Three adorable, hanbok clad cuties patiently sat on the bench while twenty missionaries took turns getting pictures with them. When Elder Larson sat down next to them with his head of red hair, the little girls were no longer looking at the cameras. Their eyes and mouths were wide open staring at Elder Larson. I wish I had that picture.
Elder Biesinger captured this shot. We will be sending this one to National Geographic.What a great way to appreciate Korean culture. After the tour of the Palace, we all gathered at a ward house. The Assistants to the President picked up BigMacs, fries, and soda for lunch. We sang some traditional Korean songs, then went into the chapel to watch "Emma Smith: My Story." After shedding a few tears, the missionaries headed for the subway. The Art Theater was to be the culminating activity for the day.
Before the program, there were some fun traditional activities. In the old days, this is how the rice was removed from the stalks. I think, Elder Biesinger did a great job. A few more hours of this activity and we could probably have enough rice for dinner.
See how easy it is to keep the ring spinning?
Now you try it!
After a fun program in the outdoor theater, the audience gathered on the grassy area to enjoy more Korean dancing and music.
Elder Biesinger is on his way to work. How many rent receipts can you fit in one cart?
With probably thousands of buses and hundreds of thousands of cars on the roads at one given time, this was an inevitable occurrence. The cool thing was, we were on the bus when it and the car collided. Didn't that driver know that buses ALWAYS have the right-of-way. I was hanging out of the bus window to get this great shot, then we hopped off the bus and found another way home.I am really sorry this is sideways! Just turn the monitor on its side or lay down next to your computer. This is really worth it. This missionary's branch was having an International Night and the African part couldn't come at the last minute. Elder Harrison learned to do the "clicking" language for the program, AND then he performed it for me!
This tree is bursting with persimmons. They are delicious.Just so you know, Koreans gather the berries to make tea. The Elders call the berries "poop berries" because of their smell.
In the fall, many people are out on the streets gathering the berries that have fallen from the branches. Frequently, we will see a man run and jump, throwing both feet into the trunk of the tree. (Yes, they usually land with their feet on the ground.) The gatherers are ecstatic as they hurry to collect more of the fallen berries.



9 comments:
My guess is dragon fruit. Have you tried it? Is it any good? It is fun to keep updated your your "Happenings". Keep the pictures and videos coming. When do you come home anyway?
We haven't tried it, but maybe when Hannah and her mom and aunt come to Seoul we will. ^_^ See you in June!
At first I wondered how you can clean food on the sidewalk, then I looked at the street surface in the bus accident. Everything looks amazingly clean there.
You guys are looking good. Are you getting ready for a cold winter after a hot summer?
We love you.
Sister Biesinger,
What happened to your hand?
Elder Biesinger,
It is very fun to watch you beating the hoop.
Not MY hand! Whew! (I was behind the camera.)
Wow! I really love looking at your blog now! I see pictures that you took when I was standing by you, and I love it! I really want to come back again. Maybe when the kids are out of school for the summer!
Great blog! I would have liked a close-up of the rice thing to see how exactly it works. I have a picture in my mind, but not sure if its right. Also, way to go dad for volunteering for the rice demonstration and the hoop thing! :D
Sister B.,
You look great in a hanbok.
Ohh how I love your BLOG. It is always so full of new stories and happenings!!! I really enjoy the pic with Sis Biesinger and the 3 little girls. All of you look so beautifull in your traditional Korean attire.
I also think it is very interesting to see the traditional activities. Elder Biesinger is very into it :)!
The fruit is Drachenfrucht (dragon fruit), also named Pitahaya or Pitaya. Did you know that this fruit has about 90% of water and a lots of iron, calcium and phosphorus and lots of vitamines?
And did you eat the toothpick?
Salam from Dubai.
Post a Comment