Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Adventure

  • While walking through the subway one day, we happened upon this wonderful Traditional Korean group playing Traditional Korean music on Traditional Korean Instruments reading Traditional Korean music. I find the instruments and the music intriguing.




That was just a teaser. The next one is longer.




Did he just turn his page from left to right? Hm-m-m.

Many of the people watching the performance were sitting on the floor, too. We opted to stand. :)



This is the music one of the musicians is reading from.



If you travel by subway in the middle of the day, there are times when the cars are almost empty. Because of the rarity of the occasion, I thought I best take a photo.



This is Rush Hour in Korea!!!



I thought this gentleman looked very dapper in his snappy hat, trimmed sweater, and trendy shirt. Is that an embroidered flower on his sweater?



I could swear I saw a lady carrying that brown bag yesterday!



Pieces of art riddle the city of Seoul. I've heard of stove pipes and bag pipes and peace pipes, but....!


From protests...




...to parades! I never tire of them. (Parades, that is.)



No blog is complete without some food. Can anyone tell me what is between the bottles of peaches and the pineapple?



Someone said that these are "tiger berries." They look a lot like raspberries, but they have a taste all their own. They are sweet and yummy! This cup of berries was 3,000 won on a street in Itaewon.



This restaurant is at the top of our list...our list of restaurants to avoid, that is.



"Elder Thacker, I think you've got a little something caught between your teeth." Alas, on P-days, the Elders just lose all sense of good hygiene.



You will remember Captain Yi and his turtle ships. Because of the way they were built, his few ships were able to defeat amazing numbers of Japanese ships. This model is about 1/3 size of the actual ship.



The Japanese were probably just scared off by these ferocious dragon heads.


You can't say Dad doesn't support the troops!



Next time you are thinking of laying sod, think about these pictures. Here is a truckload of sod ready to cover the prepared soil. It looks a little brown, but you know how resilient grass is.



See, told 'ya. It looks great. 'Course, I am GLAD I am not the one who had to lay all those tiny squares. (They came by later and replaced this grass with greener pieces.)




Frank Lloyd Wright move over and make way for Korean architecture. This (these) building is definitely outside of the box.





All you fans of vinyl, check out these 33 1/3 rpm music albums. And just in case you don't see what you are looking for...





I know a few places you might look. I was sorely tempted to spend many won, but Dad's phonograph is broken. :-(





I really need help in interpreting this piece of art.




This giant buddha is really big. But he is no match for our amazing missionaries.




Say "Hi!" to Elder Clinger and Elder Taylor. Temple Day is one of our mission highlights.

(Elder Kim Ga Ram is handing out cookies. Excuse me! I will be back later.)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Korea really is endlessly fascinating with all the different stuff. I think Russia will be that way as well; we are excited to go, but trying to finish up the mission on a high note as well. I am going to Phoenix for several days for Eric and Lilibeth, but when I come back, its full boar, bore, till Aug. 31. So many things to finish up on and hoping we can get replacements for us as the ward needs four couples, even five. Behle's moved today; Barry and I went in and talked to Bishop Gailey and got new callings in the home ward. Barry is to be, I guess you can keep a secret, Young Men Pres. & organist, and I am to be, the ward family history consultant and then I can keep my temple shift too. Yes, we are doing Clyde's old jobs!! We are nervous yet excited. We will miss downtown immensley and shall always be concerned about the folks, but it is time. Well, take care. Love, Holly

tberculosis said...

Hey Mom! How come you never comment on my blog! :P I really enjoyed the picture of the earth with the guy reaching for the...stars? moon? anything? :) I think you two must have had a blast reminiscing (sp? Niesh?) in the record store!!!

Lazarus said...

Page turning left to right = DC al Coda.

Lazarus said...

Don't ask Niesha about spelling. I never lost a game of Cranium so badly. I don't even think she spelt renasaunce conshienshusly.

Lazarus said...

The item located between the pineapple and the jars of peaches is a rare egg. They are so rare because, as you can imagine, the egg producer does not survive the laying process.

Niesha said...

After reading the other comments, I can't even remember what I was going to write!
Oh, I remember... I think that the shiny marble represents the earth. (It's reflection captures the earth, thereby representing it ;) And the stretchy guy is trying to rise out of his current sphere of life into a larger life, out of his tiny piece of earth, thought, experiences, into experiencing more, understanding more...

Hay, Q-daug, kwit maykeen fun ov mee!

Biesinger Bunch said...

I love these comments!!!
I keep laughing right out loud...every time I read them.

tberculosis said...

Man, I thought music was supposed to be universal! What is all that stuff on the page?

tberculosis said...

I just noticed that the statue guy has his hand on dad's shoulder! Perfect fit!

I also like the contrast in the subway pictures of full and empty.

What are the people protesting?

Biesinger Bunch said...

I have NO idea!!!! ^_^

Niesha said...

After hours of intense search and study, I have finally found the identity of you mystery fruit!!!! (I was almost ready to tell you it was an apple ;) I spent a lot of time searching Korean fruit and then, finally, typed in "spiky fruit" *^* Your fruit is a durien. It is actually the KING of all fruits. You can eat the flesh and/or the seeds. (But please don't try that husk.) On a humorous note, the smell evokes "deep appreciation to intense disgust" and has actually been kept out of some hotels!
Thank you, Wikipedia :)