Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Friends, Food, and Fun!


Elder Falou and Elder Goff are the two Elders that rescued us at the airport and hauled our luggage from the airport to our apartment. Elder Falou has since gone home. Elder Goff is Assistant to the President.

President Cho and Sister Min and about 80 missionaries attended the Seoul Temple this day.



This is our friendly neighborhood produce man! He was so nice we bought some bananas! (We actually knew how to say "bananas".)





I know, I know! I just can't get enough fish. One of these days I am going to BUY one. They will clean it for me even as I watch. Yuck!

This is one expensive fellow! About $50/kg! He was, also, very scary looking, but I bet he tastes great!

They not only sell watermelons, they "market" them.
Now how can you resist an awesome display like this.
(Our last watermelon cost about $15.00.)


These are the awesome stairs that we climb to go to church.

This wonderful structure was just hanging out in the middle of skyscrapers and traffic.


And here are the skyscrapers and traffic. Notice the cool purple... thing?


This gorgeous hallway just happens to be part of their underground subway.

This is just a real cool wall!


Elder Biesinger is cool, too!


Families are very important to Koreans. Four sculptures, all depicting family, are placed around the crane in the middle of the monument.

We walked through this very pretty park on our way home from the Gwanghwamun district of Seoul.


This pretty tree was on the side of an extremely busy highway. (Actually all the streets and highways are busy!)


This is MinJu's apartment building. She lives on the 22nd floor.The view is spectacular.


서대호 (Seo Dae Ho) and 김해란 (Kim Hae Ron), MinJu's parents had us for dinner Tuesday night. Her dad spoke pretty good English, but not her Mother. We wanted to talk together so badly. I need to work harder on my Korean!!!!


She made so many wonderful dishes for us. Then she boxed up some of the leftovers for us to take home. They are anxious to get together with us again. MinJu's mother manages a hair salon and wants to try her hand at fixing my hair. I think it is a losing battle, but what have I got to lose. (Other than hair.)


Cute family, huh? MinJu's brother, Dong Min is very cute. He is learning English and speaks quite well.



This is a close up of MinJu's eye line.
Can you see it? She is very proud of it.

17 comments:

Andy said...

I'm glad you're taking so many pictures and sharing them with us. This is so exciting! I'm sure you're having a blast. You're lucky you get to go to the temple. The only time I was allowed to go was on my way home. I was in Seoul for 2 days and it was closed for carpet cleaning.
I'm pretty sure I've been to the "wonderful structure just hanging out in the middle of skyscrapers and traffic" (the 8th picture down).
Good luck with learning Korean, it's hard but worth the effort.

tberculosis said...

What is an eye line?

Anonymous said...

What wonderful pictures! What kind of camera do you guys have? So what do you do on a typical day; what do they have you doing? Really, Seoul looks very clean; I just can't get over it. Does it get kind of smoggy though? What's the temperatures like? Still very hot here. Take care; we love your blog. Love, Holly

Lazarus said...

'Eye line' is the anglicanized term for an ancient Korean phrase commonly used in the Je-ju Do region. In the first century, during the Joseon Dynasty, young ladies would travel to the Han River when they were coming of age to pay tribute to Buddha. They would chant 'Ai Rayn' over and over again starting at dawn and ending at dusk. After time, the phrase came to be an adjective meaning, roughly, 'exceedingly committed'. As globalization increased, the phrase became popular in England. However, the English, familiar with the oriental l/r quandry, used the phrase 'Ai Layn'. It is commonly mispeled. If you look closely at the picture of Min-Ju you can tell by the position of her lips, tongue and cheek muscles that he is saying 'Ai Rayn' as a way of honoring Elder and Sister Biesinger for their commitment. Sister Biesinger got a close-up shot to commemorate the moment. NYK

Lazarus said...

oops, she

Robyn B said...

I would love any recipes you get. Best of luck from all the Baves!
Robyn

Unknown said...

Really? I am not so sure you should be giving q-dawg access to this site. I am sure he had more that two grammatical errors in that tyrade of his. Wow, what a great experience. By the way, do you ever use a bathroom away from home?

Randall said...

Hi Biesingers:
We were wondering how things were going for you in Korea. It is nice that they ward newsletter published your blog address. I have had a great time looking at the photos and reading your commentary.
We were talking in priesthood meeting today about Pres. Monson's counsel to live life in the present and not wait for tomorrow to make important things happen. Several comments were made about the Biesinger's and the sacrifice and servicing they are giving now while they still have lots of energy and capabilities. You are great examples to the rest of us left behind!
Your house looks great and I saw Shara out mowing the lawn a few days back. Things look to be in good hands here.
Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your spiritual adventure there in Korea.
- Randy & Janette Hemingway

Biesinger Bunch said...

Fellow Bloggers:
Your messages, large and small, encourage us and remind us that we have friends and family that are thinking of us. Thank you all so much. We love you.

Niesha said...

Noah really loved seeing MinJu's apartment! She's way up there :) That dinner looks awesome. Send us some leftovers!

Lazarus said...

"I am sure he had more that two grammatical errors," says Heidi. I may have had a small punctuation error and there was a typo which I corrected. Ironically, I also mispelled 'mispeled' on purpose. However, I didn't notice any grammatical errors.

Let he/she who is without sin cast the first stone.

Q-dawg said...

Blogging isn't a place to point out other's mistakes. In the words of Rodney King, "Why can't we all just get along."

Elder and Sister Biesinger-hope your having a wonderful time serving the Koreans.

Biesinger Bunch said...

You guys are hilarious! You make me smil! Thanks!

(Robyn, you should contact Bro Wood. His recipes are so-o-o good! We don't really cook Korean. Clyde makes a mean bowl of Cheerios, and my peanutbutter sandwiches are pretty good, too.)

Mandee lost her individuality. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandee lost her individuality. said...

Hey Biesingers! This is Mandee Perkins (the Anderson's grand daughter) I saw your URL in the ward newsletter and thought I would ask if you would be my blogging buddy?

www.joshandmandee.blogspot.com

Seoul looks so pretty. I hope I can go there someday. It looks like you're loving it over there!

Lazarus said...

If you are going to delete comments you should at least tell us what they said. I'm dying of curiosity. MEOW!

tberculosis said...

So when is the next post? Everything new that could happen has happened?? (BTW, I'm asking for 'permission to write' on Monday!!!)