Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Hike and The Palace






It started at 6:30 am. President and his wife, Elder and I were there. Where were the Elders?




This is the latest in earring fashion. These cute little flowers came with their own little balls that fit nicely into ones ear, popular with Korean children. The hike was really fun up to this point.




Now, it's getting challenging. Remember, in Korea you can work up a sweat without working up a sweat. Sister Min brought a towel for me. Thank goodness! It was hot and humid.






We are about half way. Notice the fresh faces on President and his wife. Notice the red, sweaty faces on Elder and his wife. BUT smiling.


I am happy to say, Clyde made it up all 20,000 or so stairs. I am not so happy to say, Susan did not make it. She had about 300 meters to go, but decided life was more dear than the top.




Clyde was rewarded with this specular view.




The main gate of the Deoksugung Palace is where this ceremony took place several times a day.

Check out the giant seashell horn that guy is playing.


This Korean could really swing that drumstick and beat that giant drum.
Junghwajeon is the main hall of Deoksugung palace. Emperor Gojong conducted state affairs, held official functions, and received foreign envoys here. In front of this building, there are court stones that indicate where each civil and military official should stand during official meetings of the state ffairs.
This is a big door with a very handsome man standing in front of it.
Of course, the flowers make this shot.
Clyde, can I take the nice man home with me?

P.S. From Elder Biesinger
Before Elder and Sister White left, he indicated that Electricians are one of the highest paid professions in Korea.
I remember him saying that they had a shorter life span than other professions.
Go figure!
Bigger than life flowers appeared along the side of the road one day. They are huge and very pretty. You know me and flowers.


And, yes, I am eating purple corn. It tasted great. It was just a little TOUGH, but it was fun to try anyway.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Elder and Sister Biesinger,
It's ok Susan; I wouldn't have made the hike either--as Clyde well knows. What beautiful scenery and again, so clean looking. I loved the pictures of the electric wires. I noticed that in Thailand and the Philippines--sort of do it yourself on the wiring. I think I asked someone about it and they said it just took too long for the electrical company to come out. Love, Holly

Lazarus said...

Elder Biesiner, you are very GQ.

That looks like a very impressive stair climb. How long did it take you? Do they have a place at the top to unload the contents of your stomach? My quads and gluteus maximus hurt just thinking about. Not to mention the sore sesamoid from the descent--ouch.

tberculosis said...

I always thought Koreans were short, like most Asians, but the guy in the costume is very tall. Is he on stilts??

I also, don't think I would have made it up the stairs (at least, not without resting a LOT!)

Unknown said...

Wow, does it get any better than that! It seems that the weekends are worth the work in the office. Don't worry mom, it looks like you will make it to the top before you come home.

Christy said...

I love all of the great pictures. It all looks very colorful. I am glad that I don't work as an electrician in Korea.

Mandee lost her individuality. said...

those flowers do not look real!

I would want so much to visit Korea. Problem? Money. And time. Oh how I wish I had more of both.