I hope that you are not tired of palaces, because this is the best one yet.
CHANGDEOKGUNG PALACE IN NOVEMBER

The Changdeokgung Palace was built in 1405. The buildings and pavilions "were positioned naturally, taking into consideration the geographical features of the mountain slope."

This building was used for "official ceremonies, such as celebrations by royal subjects and receptions for foreign envoys."

This walkway is higher in the middle with two lower sections on either side, then the dirt. The middle and highest section was for the king, the lower sections for his royal company, and the dirt for the commoners. We took this opportunity to walk on the middle section.

This is a beautiful throne, but I would be hard pressed to climb these stairs everytime I wanted to sit down.

"HI!"
Daejojeon Hall was the sleeping quarters of the queen.

This "couch" is very beautiful, but it looks really uncomfortable.

Now this would look great in my backyard. Wow! What a patio. Get ready Tommy.

I love the ornate painting on the eaves.

Every house should have these little protectors climbing on its roof.

This palace has a Secret Garden. We will visit there now.

Oh wait! It's a Kodak moment...and a Kodak moment.

Sister Min and President Cho are so much fun to be with!

We made it! Now how is this for a beautiful setting. The sad news is that the camera battery went dead before we were through the garden area so we only got a few pictures. We definitely need to come back here in the spring.
Buyongji is a pond that was created based on the traditional perception of the universe, that heaven is round and earth is rectangular. The rectangular pond refers to the earth, while the round island in the middle symbolizes heaven.

Aren't we cute?

A person could get poetic sitting here on bench.
This pond is named Aeryeon which means "loving the lotus," which symbolizes the virtue of a gentleman.

A last look at some beautiful fall colors.

This was our cute tour guide. She guided us through this gate which blessed us with the gift "not to age" and for a long and healthy life.

As we left the Secret Gardens we passed this Juniper tree which is estimated to be about 750 years old. Now THAT, I relate to.
5 comments:
Are you sure you aren't on a vacation?! Those are some great pictures and you two really do look so great!
Did you throw a penny, or the Korean equivalent, into the pond for good luck?
Sister Biesinger,
I love how you scroll through the first few photos with captions about the buildings, then, all of a sudden, "Hi!" That cracks me up. You are too clever.
Dear Susan and Clyde,
Just some more terrific photos. Just gorgeous but yes, I would love to see it in the spring. A couple more months here, anyway. We are doing the haze thing now. It is going to be a busy week; two of our gals are moving. We had some wonderful visits yesterday after church. I need to get you your monthly letter. Love, Holly
I love your blog. I show it to everyone I know. Korea looks so pretty. I wish there was a cheap and easy way to get there
Post a Comment