Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Kool Korea! I

Part One

Enjoy these clever differences between the West and the East.


In Korea, one can hold hands with their family or friends with no stigma attached.
Hundreds of friends are able to stroll the streets of Seoul hand-in-hand. (Do you recognize anyone in this picture?)
“Hey, you there.”


“Ah hah! I thought I knew you.” ^^


Before we continue our adventure, maybe we should make a short visit to you-know-where.







Oh, look there it is. What a charming sign.




One has a choice in public bathrooms...usually. Sometimes the only choice is a slot. Fortunately, this bathroom has a commode for “foreigners.”


Before entering the stall, be sure to check for TP. Sometimes it is hanging on the wall outside of the stall.

Toddlers can be a problem in bathrooms. They like to play on the floor and who knows where else. Here is the solution. This is a toddler seat hanging on the wall inside the stall. Put your toddler in the seat. He is safe, clean, and under your watchful eye! How cool is that?



The blue “handle” is really soap for washing your hands. (Nice sinks, don’t you think?)


After washing one’s hands, this high tech hand dryer is very efficient with blowing air and a cool blue light. Cute demonstrator not included!



When taking a shower in this hotel room, you can choose between 1) a handheld shower, 2) a traditional shower head, or 3) six water jets.


Just thought you might enjoy the label on this can of hairspray in the hotel room. For those of you that can’t read the print:

EXITER, Special Edition, SUPER HARD HAIR SPRAY, “EXITER” is natural’s gift to you, for a beauty that’s pure and natural. It makes you feel fresh every day.


Enough with bathrooms, etc. Let’s move on to other things!

Koreans think the number “4” is unlucky, a very bad number. In the West, we think that number”13” is unlucky. Notice, there is no fourth floor in this hotel.


This “stairs” sign has, also, eliminated the fourth floor.


Cars are worth a few photos. We see cars all over Seoul with cardboard, signs, etc. hiding the license plate.



Maybe they are trying to avoid parking tickets.



But, as you can see, their other plate is plain view. Hm-m-m. Any ideas?



This is cool. Some streets in Seoul are so narrow, that cars have trouble fitting down them. As you can see, I hope, in this picture, the side view mirrors fold in, thus providing the extra few inches necessary to allow this car to fit down an extremely narrow "street."

Check out this high tech parking garage. The attendant pulls your car onto the “lift.” It is then raised up and up to the first available slot and “parked” until you are ready to leave.




You might think that this is a bike shop at first glance. But you would be wrong. This is a bike parking lot for commuters. How awesome is that?




Look closely at this picture. This major intersection in Suwon is encircled with an elevated walkway. The skywalk goes all the way around with entrances on four corners. No smashed pedestrians here.



I know, I know. You have seen this one before. I just love this palace. It is so big and....and....Korean. Plus there are some secret gardens!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom, I love your blog. Reminds me how much fun we had. Has it already been a month? Glad you could use some of my pics. :)

Lazarus said...

That is a great idea. I'm going to start holding the hand of my significant other.

Lazarus said...

Shar....a,

Is that a face mask? Were you spreading the swine flu to the poor Koreans?

Lazarus said...

When I take my toddlers to the bathroom they always collect the blue pucks that the hockey players accidentally drop. Their scent reminds me of flowers and we have found that they make excellent teething toys.

Lazarus said...

From the public restroom photo one can see that the toilet seat is intended to be let up.

Lazarus said...

left

Niesha said...

What fun! That toddler seat could come in handy. I wish I had a couple up high on the wall at my house!

Jackie and Zy said...

Great pictures. Is that you, Mom, holding hands with Sister Min? I love the commuter bike parking lot. You'd think that in a place as rainy as Florida, the university would have some covered bike parking...but no! only two on all of campus as far as I can tell.

Anonymous said...

Dear Susan & Clyde,
Once again you have given us insights like no other! What's their toilet paper like? I had a friend who collected toilet paper from all over Europe. Went to Janae Atencio's reception-lovely. Shower for Russ Bogle's fiance and Brad Behle's new baby boy this week. Next Sunday is David Bradshaw & Jimmy Bush's mission farewell. And another week is David Peaden's wedding reception. Wonderful. Take care. Love, Holly

Niesha said...

Hey, Mom and Dad. Check out my blog:
coreynieshafamily.blogspot.com

I know - really clever name!