Dongdaemun, about forty minutes away by bus, is a famous shopping center. We climbed off the bus and started up the street.

These young bikers rang the metal bells on their bikes to warn us they were behind us. Remember the the ones we had on our tricycles when we were children? Unfortunately, Elder Biesinger and I have not learned to respond to the ringing, and did not move out of their way. Fortunately, they were very patient as they found their way around us.
This is Korea's answer to Home Depot. You can buy paint, wallpaper, bathroom appliances...
...ladders, flooring, and (?) big balls of styrofoam. Maybe one of you home builders could fill me in on what these are for. Hey, Heidi, how about a giant bean bag chair?

I love these doors and room dividers. I asked if I could take some home with me, but Elder Biesinger said they wouldn't fit in my suitcase. :(
I love these doors and room dividers. I asked if I could take some home with me, but Elder Biesinger said they wouldn't fit in my suitcase. :(
Now, if we need a "hand" getting our purchases home, we found just the place.

Raise your right hand if you feel like you are falling apart.

The delivery man is here with the goods! I know for a fact that these men will deliver your purchases to your home for you. Our problem is that we wouldn't know how to tell him where to take them. :)
hats.JPG)
HATS! HATS! HATS!


WOW! What a cutey! I love him in purple.
Raise your right hand if you feel like you are falling apart.
The delivery man is here with the goods! I know for a fact that these men will deliver your purchases to your home for you. Our problem is that we wouldn't know how to tell him where to take them. :)
HATS! HATS! HATS!
In every size, shape, color, and style.
Elder Biesinger found JUST the thing for those camping trips with the family.
WOW! What a cutey! I love him in purple.
This is the bookstore. I am not kidding. There were so many books, you couldn't walk into the store. (Eat your heart out Niesha.) Unfortunately, they are mostly in Korean.

Look at the smile on this cute face. He just bought a new light fixture for our bedroom ceiling. When he tried to change the bulb in the old one, the plastic part crumbled in his hands.
Look at the smile on this cute face. He just bought a new light fixture for our bedroom ceiling. When he tried to change the bulb in the old one, the plastic part crumbled in his hands.
Just follow the pretty lights up the stairs to the lighting store.

The man that helped us was very nice. He measured the light for us to be sure it would fit, he boxed up our purchase and wrapped in with plastic carrying straps, and he cautioned Elder Biesinger to be sure to turn off the power before installing the light.
The is the baking goods store. I think I am looking at marshmallows or chocolate chips. They have whole wheat flour!!!
Yep, I'm happy. The store makes a right hand turn at the back. Hm-m-m, what other cool stuff can I find?

If you look close, you will see Jello, CountryTime Lemonade, chocolate syrup, and jam. On the table in the center of the room are bags of walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and dried fruit all being used as a workspace for baging more food.
Right in the corner where the store takes a turn is the owner's desk holding his calculater, his red gloves, and his basket of... money? What is he thinking? Only in Korea.
The man that helped us was very nice. He measured the light for us to be sure it would fit, he boxed up our purchase and wrapped in with plastic carrying straps, and he cautioned Elder Biesinger to be sure to turn off the power before installing the light.
If you look close, you will see Jello, CountryTime Lemonade, chocolate syrup, and jam. On the table in the center of the room are bags of walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and dried fruit all being used as a workspace for baging more food.
(The APs stopped to buy gas for the van one day. The gas station attendant put too much gas in the tank and the Elders didn't have enough money to pay him. He told them it was okay, they could bring it to him later. I love Korea. )
Just outside the baking goods store, the sidewalk is full of shoppers.

Ties as far as the eye can see. And this is not the only aisle full of ties.

This picture is for Peggy. Miles of aisles full of everything from yarn to buttons and from lace to crochet hooks. The fabric is on a separate floor in just as amazing quantities.

Everytime I go past this display I wish I could buy some curtains. Cool, aren't they.

This shop makes custom hanboks, the traditional Korean clothes.

These hanboks are actually across the street from our apartment. We have seen some very beautiful hanboks.

These are so cute. I want to buy one for each of the grandchildren, but, alas, we have almost 28 and I don't want Elder Biesinger to have a heart attack.

But, the sweet man did buy me one.

This is the women's clothing building. Every twelve feet is another shop. Wow! A shopper's paradise. (Yes, they have very high class department stores, but they are also extremely expensive.)
Korea is SO famous for their ties. Notice the zip up ties in the front? Have you ever seen so many ties before in your life? Do any of these look familier?
Check out the next picture.
Ties as far as the eye can see. And this is not the only aisle full of ties.
This picture is for Peggy. Miles of aisles full of everything from yarn to buttons and from lace to crochet hooks. The fabric is on a separate floor in just as amazing quantities.
Everytime I go past this display I wish I could buy some curtains. Cool, aren't they.
This shop makes custom hanboks, the traditional Korean clothes.
These hanboks are actually across the street from our apartment. We have seen some very beautiful hanboks.
These are so cute. I want to buy one for each of the grandchildren, but, alas, we have almost 28 and I don't want Elder Biesinger to have a heart attack.

But, the sweet man did buy me one.
This is the women's clothing building. Every twelve feet is another shop. Wow! A shopper's paradise. (Yes, they have very high class department stores, but they are also extremely expensive.)
Have you wondered where shoppers try on clothes? Well, let me show you.
Yep, that's it. How was that for an exciting day shopping in Dongdaemun? And I have a new skirt and a cute jacket to show for it!
5 comments:
Dear Susan & Clyde,
Good grief! That shopping is so Asian--it is the shopping center for the world! But it is so clean. I know I keep saying that but it is so.
Hey it is snowing here. Yesterday in the 70's. It's Utah. If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes . . .
Hey they dedicated the Draper Temple today; now on to Oquirrh Mtn. This next Friday is my last day at the temple for a while. Going hold till I get through babies, graduations, moves,etc. I shall miss it.
Speaking of moves--that's what we have been doing, moving and cleaning. Still more this week. Oh well, it is what they need at the moment.
You know, I still am not sure what all you do over there. I would love a little more detail.
Love, Holly
Wow...and I thought I could get everything I ever wanted in the US...but now I see that isn't true! :D
I loved the virtual tour of your shopping experience! I have to say...I hate close crowded places...so I don't think I'd enjoy shopping there much.
How much fun to look at your Blog and discover new adventures. Thanx for sharing. I enjoy it a lot. Keep on posting.
I know I am a little behind, but I just wanted you to know how much I enjoy sharing your experiences in Korea! I can't wait to really be there with you!
I don't know about being a little behind, but I have a little behind.
Post a Comment